In this world of modern computers and game consoles, there exists such a word such as games reviews addiction. It is a mental disorder that can strike any of our love ones without us knowing it. So how do you know if your boyfriend or girlfriend is addicted to video games?
Here’s a simple questionnaire for you to answer to check whether he or she is addicted to video games:
1. Does your partner feel really happy when they’re online or playing their game consoles, but as soon as they have to stop they become angry, irritable, or upset?
2. Does he or she seems to be distracted or disinterested in doing his or her supposed chores but instead goes online or play in his or her console?
3. Does your partner constantly talk too much about his or her achievements in the game?
4. Does your partner start to show signs of unhygienic practices and sleeping disorders?
5. Does he or she spends more time on the keyboard or game console controller than physically hang-out with you, his or her family, and friends?
6. Does your partner have the tendency to lie when ask about his or her game time?
7. Does he or she have a problem controlling the time he or she spends on the computer or game console, spending 2 to 3 hours of play time when he or she just planned to play for 15 minutes?
8. Does your partner have the tendency to get-up in the wee hours of the night just only to check their emails, upgrade their weapons and items, or check-on their characters?
9. When you confront your partner about their video game addiction, do they instantly become defensive and has the tendency to deny it?
10. Does your partner spend too much money for his or her online game or game console?
If you answer YES to at least three of the questions above then your boyfriend or girlfriend has a large tendency of having video game addiction.
Video game addiction is a general term used to define the excessive or compulsive use of computers, online or offline, and game consoles at the risk of neglecting daily life. Video game addiction, despite exhibiting like symptoms with other substance addiction, has not yet been given a diagnostic status by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM). This means that there have been no approved methods of dealing or curing video gaming addiction. Clinician and therapists have their different ways to handle video game addicts, some of them successful while others fail.
So what can an average person like you do if you are concerned about your boyfriend or girlfriend being addicted to video games? Well, you can try some these suggestions:
A. Talk to your boyfriend or girlfriend
First, talk to your boyfriend or girlfriend. Find out more about his or her addiction. Sometimes his or her addiction is a product of him or her hiding from negative or uncomfortable feelings or situations.
Some video game addicts treat their computer games, online connection, and game consoles as a self-medication when they are confronted with uncomfortable situations, like feeling sad, arguing with a friend, or getting a bad grade. Video game addicts “hide” in the game as a method of avoidance.
Talking to your significant other can help him or her realize the gravity of the situation. Explain to him or her that hiding away from their problems will not necessarily solve, as much as their games can’t solve it for them. Explain and assure them that you will be there to guide and support them.
B. Talk to their family
It is also a good idea to talk to your boyfriend’s or girlfriend’s family. In this way you will be able to alert them of the possibility that their son or daughter might be addictive to video games, if they still don’t know about it.
If they do know about their son’s or daughter’s video game addiction, it would be easier for you to inquire and ask for their help. Encourage, support, and coordinate with them in pursuing ways to alleviate their son’s or daughter’s video game addiction.
C. Try to limit your boyfriend’s or girlfriend’s contact with his games.
As much as possible, you must try to limit your boyfriend’s or girlfriend’s game time over his computer or game consoles. This move might be drastic and might be imposing on both you and your boyfriend or girlfriend, but explain to him or her that it is for the best.
Create a certain time frame or schedule wherein your significant other can spend his or her time on his games and consoles. Compromise a game time and length that can possibly work for both you and him/her. Two to three hours per day is the most acceptable game time length for such a situation; and slowly reduce it further after your boyfriend or girlfriend have adjusted to your system.
Employ the help of their family members and friends to ensure that the time schedule is strictly being followed.
D. Encourage your boyfriend or girlfriend to do other activities.
The main point is to take your significant other away from his games and consoles as much as possible.
For your girlfriend, try bringing her girl’s fashion and trendy magazine and tell her that today’s fashion fits her perfectly. You can also bring her love and romance pocketbooks and egg on her to read about it.
For your boyfriend, try bringing him to sports competition and encourage him to try sports like football and basketball.
Also you try to arrange a weekly picnic, a day alone with your significant other on the most romantic landscape you can think of. Make it a day he or she will cherish and look on to every week.
If you really think that your boyfriend or girlfriend is experiencing video game addiction; then don’t have to hesitate to help or call for help, because the threat of video game addiction is very real.